Monday, October 04, 2004

stupid computer and/or Berlin Part 1

I just lost a lengthy post on my experiences in Berlin because when I went to publish it, I got a cannot find server message. Right now I don't have the patience to write it again, so I'll give you some highlights and add more later.

I had a tour of Jewish Berlin, which included the site of the first synagogue, a few memorials, and sites of the regrowing Jewish community.

The Jewish Museum, designed by the same man doing the new World Trade Center/ 9/11 memorial. It was really moving and had a tower which served to isolate you from the world to allow you to in some way relate to experiences in a concentration camp. There was also a memorial garden, with slanting concrete square poles and a good and very interactive collection detailing the history and contributions of Jews in Berlin and Germany at large.

I also visited Checkpoint Charlie, the only checkpoint through the wall used by foreigners. As well as the Reichstag, the Parliamentary building which feature a large glass dome which you can climb to the top of and get a great view of the city.

On Sunday, we visited Potsdam on our way home. We did not have a tour guide but thanks to a few pages of information and my skills and experience as a tour guide, I was able to lead a few people through the former home of Crown Prince Wilheim, the site of the Conference in 1945 in which Truman, Stalin, Churchill then Atlee (Churchill's party lost the Parliament during the conference) decided the fate of Germany.

I wrote a lot more and I promise I'll add it back but not now. As a teaser it will include my experience with Hoppel Poppel.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home