Friday, September 10, 2004

Expectations and realities

Before traveling to Prague, I experienced an onslaught of information. There was the information NYU sent, various guidebooks, and info and advice from friends and neighbors. Thus I came with many expectations. I've decided to give everyone some insight into Prague by highlighting I few things that were expected and unexpected.

I'll start with the unexpected. The top of the list is Czech Mex. Throughout Prague and I'm told in the rest of the country as well there are restaurants specializing in Czech Mex. They have burritos, enchiladas, tacos, nachos, etc. Of course its doesn't really taste authentic, but it is good. You may be wondering if I as a New Jerseyan (Jerseyite?) am qualified to judge the authenticity of Mexican cuisine. I assure you I am. Most of you know I have strong opinions on food and I will be happy to supply references upon request.
I also did not anticipate the extent to which American pop music and American TV shows existed in Prague. The pop is in every store and bar. As for TV, I watched a bit of Czech "Friends" this week. And my Czech teacher, Jiri Novak, translates scripts for dubbing. He has worked on "Step by Step" and "The Simpsons" ( He loves Homer and received an award for dubbing on the Simpsons)

Other things I had been prepared for. Smezeny Syr (fried cheese) is outstanding. Imagine a mozzarella stick in patty shape on a bun with ketchup and mayo. There really is no better way to end a long night out.
Also the classes here are really awesome. I had been told this by the few people I know who studied abroad in Prague and its true. Besides Novak, I have an Urban sociologist who survived both the Holocaust and the Communist occupation. The classes are all small and although the traditional Czech educations focuses only on lecture they are all interested in hearing our opinions and having real discussions.
I could go on, but I need to get going theres talk of some ultimate Frisbee in the park.

Lastly, I am trying to discover how to post pictures on the blog, so that's something to look forward to.

1 Comments:

At September 11, 2004 at 8:24 AM, Blogger swithy said...

Ben, have u tried tram pizza yet? I always found it the best way to end an evening out, while waiting at Narodni Trida for the night tram, to get one of those 60 crown pizzas at the pizzy/gyro place. They don´t compare to smazeny syr of course, but always provide for an enjoyable if somewhat disgusting cheap meal.
I also once had CzechsMex at a restaurant called Chili´s, and the enchiladas were tasty, albeit served in goulash sauce. The Czechs still have a long way to go with their Mex...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home